On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 01:16:37PM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> >> I was having the same problem on both machines until I added this line
> >> in the header:

> >> That only fixed it on one Apache web server, not the other.  So why
> >> doesn't that fix it for both servers?  I assume it has something to do
> >> with the Apache configuration.  Any ideas?
> >
> > That line is interpreted by the browser, the server doesn't care.
>
> That's what I thought, but then I thought the browser would use the
> information to decide how to display the file.

Correct.

>                                                 Are you saying that the
> server is actually altering the file as it sends it out?

It might, based on the directives in its configuration files
(httpd.conf, .htaccess).

To test that hypothesis, fetch the file with wget from both servers
and do a diff.

> >> Do you know why I'm not able to override the default here?
> >
> > You need to override in in a .htaccess file, not in the file that you
> > actually send out.
>
> Do you know what I need to do?  I went here...
>
> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-htaccess-charset
>
> ...and tried this,...
>
> $ cat > .htaccess
> AddCharset UTF-8 .html
> ^D
>
> ...which made a .htaccess file, but it didn't change the appearance of the
> document.

You probably need to enable .htaccess processing in the main
httpd.conf file and also specify that for the given directory, what
directives can be specified in the .htaccess file.

   http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/htaccess.html

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163