On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Florin Iucha wrote:

>>> That line is interpreted by the browser, the server doesn't care.
>>
>> That's what I thought, but then I thought the browser would use the
>> information to decide how to display the file.
>
> Correct.

I wonder why the meta line isn't working then, because...

>> Are you saying that the server is actually altering the file as it
>> sends it out?
>
> It might, based on the directives in its configuration files
> (httpd.conf, .htaccess).
>
> To test that hypothesis, fetch the file with wget from both servers and
> do a diff.

OK.  I did it and the wget-retrieved files are identical.

>>> You need to override in in a .htaccess file, not in the file that you
>>> actually send out.
>>
>> Do you know what I need to do?  I went here...
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-htaccess-charset
>>
>> ...and tried this,...
>>
>> $ cat > .htaccess
>> AddCharset UTF-8 .html
>> ^D
>>
>> ...which made a .htaccess file, but it didn't change the appearance of the
>> document.
>
> You probably need to enable .htaccess processing in the main httpd.conf
> file and also specify that for the given directory, what directives can
> be specified in the .htaccess file.
>
>   http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/htaccess.html

OK.  This means I have to get the sysadmin in on it.  I don't want to do
that, so I'm going to try iconv:

iconv --from-code=UTF-8 --to-code=ISO-8859-1 gaw15_problem_3_papers.html | grep -v "<meta" > gaw15_test.html

It works!

before:
http://genetsim.org/class/gaw15_problem_3_papers.html

after:
http://genetsim.org/class/gaw15_test.html

There's a solution.  Not the one I wanted, but good enough for now.  I'm
still in a quandry over why Firefox doesn't see the meta tag and display
the utf-8 correctly.  It worked on one system and not the other.

Thanks again, Florin!

Mike