On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Florin Iucha wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 11:10:25AM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> I was having the same problem on both machines until I added this line
>> in the header:

>> That only fixed it on one Apache web server, not the other.  So why
>> doesn't that fix it for both servers?  I assume it has something to do
>> with the Apache configuration.  Any ideas?
>
> That line is interpreted by the browser, the server doesn't care.

That's what I thought, but then I thought the browser would use the
information to decide how to display the file.  Are you saying that the
server is actually altering the file as it sends it out?

>> Do you know why I'm not able to override the default here?
>
> You need to override in in a .htaccess file, not in the file that you
> actually send out.

Do you know what I need to do?  I went here...

http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-htaccess-charset

...and tried this,...

$ cat > .htaccess
AddCharset UTF-8 .html
^D

...which made a .htaccess file, but it didn't change the appearance of the
document.

Thanks!

Mike