On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Scott Raun <sraun at fireopal.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 01:57:14PM -0500, Isaac Atilano wrote:
> > If you really want to get to know your system, you can edit the
> > configuration files directly or use command line tools such as useradd.
>
> Which is actually my preferred method.  And until I can spend some
> time figuring out DebConf, it's driving me _nuts_!  Apparently Debian
> is currently storing a bunch of config data in a database somewhere,
> and - I think - the program goes to read it's config file, sees that
> there is debconf info for some things, and queries debconf.  This is
> NOT useful when I know that something is mis-configured for exim, and
> the bit that it looks like it should be is a debconf macro!
>
> Yes, I could blow away the debconf macro and just edit it straight -
> but what i really want is a way to get all the macros expanded and
> then have the program no longer call debconf, or a way to get into
> debconf to directly examine the data.  I assume there are tools for
> doing this, I just haven't had time to go look for them and figure
> them out.
>
> --
> Scott Raun
> sraun at fireopal.org
>
> As far as I know, debconf is only used to tweak certain parts of the config
files during package installation and upgrades. I don't believe any programs
query debconf during their normal operation. On the other hand, exim seems
to be Debian's chosen MTA, so they may have done some wierd things to it.
Franky, exim scares the hell out of me. I use postfix, and debconf does
alter the config files *when instructed to do so* but other than that the
config files remain normal-looking and easily editable.

Just my two cents.