On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 01:57:14PM -0500, Isaac Atilano wrote:
> If you really want to get to know your system, you can edit the
> configuration files directly or use command line tools such as useradd.

Which is actually my preferred method.  And until I can spend some
time figuring out DebConf, it's driving me _nuts_!  Apparently Debian
is currently storing a bunch of config data in a database somewhere,
and - I think - the program goes to read it's config file, sees that
there is debconf info for some things, and queries debconf.  This is
NOT useful when I know that something is mis-configured for exim, and
the bit that it looks like it should be is a debconf macro!

Yes, I could blow away the debconf macro and just edit it straight -
but what i really want is a way to get all the macros expanded and
then have the program no longer call debconf, or a way to get into
debconf to directly examine the data.  I assume there are tools for
doing this, I just haven't had time to go look for them and figure
them out.

--
Scott Raun
sraun at fireopal.org