I recall that particular issue being the case of UMN policy that non-UMN orgs had no claims on space reservations, so could be pre-empted.  TCLUG was/is not UMN-owned.  There is discussion in the archives.  Also likely that there may have been a reservation issue, but policy was stated as trumping all - if/when the question was called by another group wanting to meet.

Many of the organized engineering associations (IEEE, ASME, MFES, etc) have had these problems, so few or none meet there.

Chuck