On 10/29 09:39 , Chuck Cole wrote:
> I thought TCLUG action (list and installfests especially) was mainly by Real Time folk originally.

That was originally. We've been pretty hands-off it recently.
I dropped off the mailing list for some years myself. Only reason I came
back was to let y'all know that the website broke when we decommissioned an
ancient database server.

The state of the 'meetings' page (last update 2003) kind of points out the
status of the LUG.

Really, there's not nearly as much need for the LUG as there used to be.
Linux is much easier to install, communication between everyone is better,
and Linux has gotten far enough into the mainstream that there's not as much
need for advocacy as there used to be. Linux didn't destroy all opponents in
the OS wars; but it did force the other vendors (M$ and Apple) to get a lot
better. In the end, that's a pretty good result. Once again, the
(relatively) free market helps consumers win in the end. :)

So the LUG is to a greater percentage what it always had been... a social
club for geeks. :)

Too bad I'm 1000+ miles away now and can't be involved in the beer meetings.
I own a beer brewery now and we don't sell in Minnesota yet.
(www.manchesterbrewing.com).

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator