On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <
chrome at real-time.com> wrote:

> Really, there's not nearly as much need for the LUG as there used to be.
> Linux is much easier to install, communication between everyone is better,
> and Linux has gotten far enough into the mainstream that there's not as
> much
> need for advocacy as there used to be. Linux didn't destroy all opponents
> in
> the OS wars; but it did force the other vendors (M$ and Apple) to get a lot
> better.

I generally agree with this.  I'm far more interested in the Free/Open
Source Software movements and issues than Linux itself as an OS.  Linux as a
platform - great!  But once Linux is on the box - then what?   So my focus
area is a bit broader, but LUG's seem to be the best place to find
like-minded people, including topics like:

* Licensing (understanding the GPL)
* Linux & F/OSS in the Enterprise
     - how to integrate into a windows-dominated environment
     - How to provide services to windows clients transparently
     - authentication and identity sourcing
     - Workflows and tool chains
* More broadly, our privacy rights
* Standards, and standards corruption by for-profit entities.
* Developing solutions on Linux with F/OSS tool chains
  - web develepment being a key area of interest for me.
* Coming changes/new features in the kernel.

> In the end, that's a pretty good result. Once again, the
> (relatively) free market helps consumers win in the end. :)

Free (liberated) software helped more than markets, imho.

> So the LUG is to a greater percentage what it always had been... a social
> club for geeks. :)

Yar.

-Rob