On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:01, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for trying, but that did not go well!  There definitely is something
> quite abnormal here, so your idea might usually work, but not this time.
>  Stopping gdm went OK, but when I entered the start command, the screen went
> black, and that was it -- I could find no way to get anything back. 8<
>
> Rebooting did not solve my problem.  When Gnome comes up to the login screen
> there is something very pathological going on.  The login box in the middle
> of the screen is flashing on and off very rapidly (3-4 times per second). 8<
>
> At least now I don't have to worry about losing any work so I'll just reboot
> repeatedly, changing various things, and I'll see what happens. Any
> suggestions?

This sounds like an X driver issue. Reboot the machine in "recovery
mode" and then, as root:

# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

You might also want to make sure you're system is fully up-to-date
before doing this. I haven't seen any major updates come out in the
past couple of days, but you might have a new X driver or something.

--
Brian D. Ropers-Huilman
612.234.7778