On Mon, 30 Nov 2009, Brian D. Ropers-Huilman wrote:

> This sounds like an X driver issue. Reboot the machine in "recovery
> mode" and then, as root:
>
> # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

That ran very quickly and had no discernible effect on the system.

> You might also want to make sure you're system is fully up-to-date
> before doing this. I haven't seen any major updates come out in the past
> couple of days, but you might have a new X driver or something.

Before running the command above, I ran the update-manager and there was a
gdm update.  I was sure that would help but it had no discernible effect.

If I could just get the vncviewer working on the machine, that would be
good enough for now.  I'm stuck using the netbook even while sitting in
front of the computer I'm connecting to.  Kinda crazy.

Thanks for the attempts, Brian.  I can't be the only one having this
problem, so there ought to be something on the web.  I'll try to do some
more searching.

Mike