Reinstall gdm?
I'm not a big gnome person as I typically have used kde mostly in the past though the gnome desktop has come a long way in recent years but then so has kde

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:01:50
To: Brian D. Ropers-Huilman<brian at ropers-huilman.net>
Cc: TCLUG List<tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] problem with Ubuntu/Gnome login screen

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009, Brian D. Ropers-Huilman wrote:

> Mike, go to one of the TTYs (CTRL-ALT-F6), login, and try restarting the GDM:
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
>
> then
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
>
> Then switch back to the GUI console (CTRL-ALT-F7) and see if the GDM
> will accept an ID after restarting. It might automatically take you to
> the GDM after it restarts, I can't remember.

Thanks for trying, but that did not go well!  There definitely is
something quite abnormal here, so your idea might usually work, but not
this time.  Stopping gdm went OK, but when I entered the start command,
the screen went black, and that was it -- I could find no way to get
anything back.  The machine was still on but I couldn't ping it or connect
in any way.  The ctrl-alt-F? combinations did nothing.  It was totally
unresponsive, so I rebooted it.  One funny thing was that the black screen
did not mean that there was no video -- the monitor never went into
power-saving mode.

Rebooting did not solve my problem.  When Gnome comes up to the login
screen there is something very pathological going on.  The login box in
the middle of the screen is flashing on and off very rapidly (3-4 times
per second).  It always shows the name of the computer and and about once
per second it flashes "unable to authenticate user" at the bottom of the
box.  I tried hitting ctrl-c and a couple of other things, but it did
nothing.  I can return to ctrl-alt-F7 and enter commands there.  I also
can start vnc and I'm using that now from my netbook, but I don't know how
to make the vnc client work on the desktop when Gnome is down.

At least now I don't have to worry about losing any work so I'll just
reboot repeatedly, changing various things, and I'll see what happens.
Any suggestions?

Mike