On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 03:26:07PM -0500, Matt Hallacy wrote:
> I also don't
> consider it poor customer service when the clerk at Wal-Mart doesn't
> know what kind of drywall anchors would be best for my wall.

But it is if you're at a hardware store.

I haven't shopped at GNS in years, but I used to go there quite a bit,
and always had decent experiences.

One evening about 4 years ago the motherboard went out during a reboot
on an old deprecated production box (words you never want to hear
together).  Out of options, I sped over to GNS and got there 5 minutes
before close.  I asked for a "intel server motherboard bundle", and was
very uncomfortable buying such hardware without research or foresight.

I ended up with this super colorful desktop gaming board (no doubt their
most expensive board) with 5.1 digital audio and no vga even.  Luckily I
did have an old video card laying around.

The moral of the story?
1) Don't run production stuff on old deprecated hardware (I'm told this
box still breathes, many many years past its prime.. but sometimes this
is reality)
2) Don't drive all brick & mortar business out, because occasionally,
they can save your ass.  Even if it is with ridiculous, over priced,
Gold Plated super hyper speed platinum gamer hardware.

Incidentally, I always enjoyed how GNS *doesn't* kill you on cables.  In
fact, at one point, i just needed some power cables.  They were like $12
at the evil blue store, and even >$10 at micro center.  GNS *GAVE THEM
TO ME*.  I didn't even purchase anything else that day.

drue