On Sun, 18 Jan 2009, Florin Iucha wrote:

> the original enthusiasm for Subversion seems to be waning...
>
> PS: Adam, please don't take this personally.  Your talk will be useful
> to people who are not aware what are they missing by not using a source
> control system, and subversion is a good start.

It is possible to migrate archives from subversion to other systems, so
working with subversion for now isn't a dead end if you change your mind
later.  It sounds like it isn't too hard to do:

http://mjtsai.com/blog/2007/07/15/subversion-to-git/

That article seems to give a pretty good comparison of svn with git from
someone who used svn extensively and discovered that he really liked git.

For me the speed issue isn't important because I'm not doing huge projects
with dozens of developers, and git seems to focus a lot on speed.  I would
be more concerned about usability and about whether a newly-hired
programmer would likely know the system.  If more people know subversion,
it might still be better for me than git.

According to Wikipedia:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversion_(software)

    Subversion is well-known in the open source community and is used on
    many open source projects, including Apache Software Foundation, KDE,
    GNOME, Free Pascal, FreeBSD, GCC, Python, Django, Ruby, Mono,
    SourceForge.net and Tigris.org. Google Code also provides Subversion
    hosting for their open source projects. BountySource systems use it
    exclusively.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_(software)

    Several high-profile software projects now use Git for revision
    control, most notably the Linux kernel, Perl, Samba, X.org Server, Qt
    (toolkit), One Laptop per Child (OLPC) core development, Ruby on Rails
    web framework, VLC, Merb, Wine, SWI Prolog, DragonFly BSD and the
    Android mobile platform.

Mike