On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 01:55:12PM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> At the second URL you will find links to Wikipedia entries for more than a
> dozen "open source" revision control software projects.  You can also read
> on Wikipedia about revision control (not necessarily distributed)...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revision_control
>
> ...and their "comparison of revision control software":
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_revision_control_software
>
> That page shows this nice table of program features...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_revision_control_software#Features
>
> ...where I see that one Free Software program gets "Yes" for every feature
> and that program is SVK -- it "uses the Subversion filesystem but provides
> additional features:"
>
> * Offline operations like checkin, log, merge.
> * Distributed branches.
> * Lightweight checkout copy management (no .svn directories).
> * Advanced merge algorithms, like star-merge and cherry picking.
> * Changeset signing and verification.
> * Can mirror and operate on Subversion, Perforce and CVS repositories
>
> I notice that GNU arch gets mentioned a lot.

Good overview Mike.  I don't have the references handy, but one thing
to keep in mind is that KDE and Gnome migrated from CVS to Subversion
a few years ago, and are moving to git now.  GCC developers are still
at Subversion stage but seriously considering git as well.  Mozilla
and Open Solaris are using mercurial.  I'm not aware of any large
scale projects that use (or seriously considering arch or SVK).  Also,
the original enthusiasm for Subversion seems to be waning...

Cheers,
florin

PS: Adam, please don't take this personally.  Your talk will be useful to
people who are not aware what are they missing by not using a source
control system, and subversion is a good start.

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163