On Sun, 18 Jan 2009, John Gateley wrote:

> Adam Monsen wrote:
>>

>> Great! Please feel free to forward on the invite.

> Hi Adam,
>
> A couple of questions:
> will you be talking about the difference between SVN and Git/Mercurial?
>
> Subversion in a recent (past year or so) release did something to make
> them more Mercurial-like, I think it was to make SVN more distrubted
> rather than a central repository. Will you be talking about this?
>
> How much branching and merging will you talk about?

He has said that he wants it to be introductory so that it can be
understood by "a non-techie, brand-spanking-new to the command line," but
I don't know if that will stop him from talking about other systems.  I
personally want to know how the various approaches to version control are
different.  I've used both CVS and Subversion in a very limited way - just
to download someone else's code, so I don't even know how CVS and
Subversion differ, and I think they are very different (you don't have to
tell me because I can look it up!).

I've been looking around for more info, so I'll sharing some of my
findings here.  I'm going to try to read this before Tuesday:

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-09-2007/jw-09-versioncontrol.html

Wikipedia seems to prefer the term "distributed revision control" software
to "distributed version control systems" (DVCS).  They have a general
article and a list of such software programs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_revision_control
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_revision_control_software

At the second URL you will find links to Wikipedia entries for more than a
dozen "open source" revision control software projects.  You can also read
on Wikipedia about revision control (not necessarily distributed)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revision_control

...and their "comparison of revision control software":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_revision_control_software

That page shows this nice table of program features...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_revision_control_software#Features

...where I see that one Free Software program gets "Yes" for every feature
and that program is SVK -- it "uses the Subversion filesystem but provides
additional features:"

* Offline operations like checkin, log, merge.
* Distributed branches.
* Lightweight checkout copy management (no .svn directories).
* Advanced merge algorithms, like star-merge and cherry picking.
* Changeset signing and verification.
* Can mirror and operate on Subversion, Perforce and CVS repositories

I notice that GNU arch gets mentioned a lot.

Mike