On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 23:39:26 -0500, "Josh Paetzel" <josh at tcbug.org>
said:
> Personally I'm all about choices.  Give me the freedom to choose
> proprietary closed source software, open source software, or free
> software.  I use a mixture of all three.
>
> Restricting my freedom to choose, whether it's proprietary closed
> source, Free Software, or Open Source software leaves me feeling
> unsatisfied and unfulfilled, and if I want to feel that way I can always
> download a linux distribution. I don't need someone telling me I
> shouldn't listen to mp3's simply because they aren't "Free" ;)

I personally agree with Josh but I'd like to point out where I think RMS
is coming from.
To him proprietary software is 'evil.' This is a philosophical position
which brings up questions such as:
"To what extent does my use of proprietary software make me a
participant in evil?"
"To what extent does my promotion of a system that makes an evil program
available to others make me a participant in evil?"
"Should we have the liberty to chose something that is evil?"
Through his words and actions, I think he's shown where he stands on
these questions.

Not everyone has to agree with RMS and not everyone does.
Even though I disagree with RMS on a philosophical level, I agree with
him on a pragmatic level in that it is in our best interest as a free
society to promote the use of free software and discourage the use of
proprietary software.