On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> Personally I'm all about choices.  Give me the freedom to choose
> proprietary closed source software, open source software, or free
> software.  I use a mixture of all three.

Me too.  I strongly prefer FOSS solutions but I need to get things done
and sometimes there is a good proprietary program and nothing even close
to it in the FOSS domain.

> Restricting my freedom to choose, whether it's proprietary closed
> source, Free Software, or Open Source software leaves me feeling
> unsatisfied and unfulfilled, and if I want to feel that way I can always
> download a linux distribution. I don't need someone telling me I
> shouldn't listen to mp3's simply because they aren't "Free" ;)

Stallman isn't trying to restrict freedom of choice, he just doesn't want
a FreeBSD user to think "hey what can I use for photo editing" then have
FreeBSD return some options like this:

GIMP
ImageMagick
Photoshop

(In reality there probably is no Photoshop for FreeBSD and it is
expensive, but...)  He wants the list to look like this:

GIMP
ImageMagick

I agree with him.  If someone wants to find a proprietary program and
install it, fine, but we shouldn't write FOSS code that includes
suggestions that people use non-FOSS code.  Why?

By the way, I used to do certain photo editing batch jobs in Photoshop,
but now I use 'convert' from ImageMagick, and ImageMagick does a better
job for me than Photoshop.  It's all about the settings:  Photoshop
"actions" are just harder to work with than command-line arguments, so I
didn't really optimize the Photoshop settings, but I did that with
'convert' because it was easy and the final result was excellent.

Mike