On Tuesday September 23 2008 10:37:49 Ian Young wrote:
> To add to the list of tools Andy mentioned: ddrescue is similar to dd,
> but is really great about not choking, even if your disk is in terrible
> shape.  parted has its own rescue function that will try to find lost
> partitions, without you needing to know exactly where they were.  And
> check out TestDisk and PhotoRec - they are brilliant tools, and can come
> through when all hope seems lost.
>
> Of course, all of these tools can only help if the computer at least
> recognizes that the drive is there, which is your problem.
>
> Try entering your BIOS setup and see if the drive shows up there.  Also,
> try getting your ear close to the drive when you power on the computer
> and see if you can hear it spinning up.
>
> Also, keep trying.  Try plugging it in again tomorrow. Try plugging it
> in two weeks from now.  I can't give any rational explanation for why
> this would help, but I've seen drives that everyone has given up on
> inexplicably come back from the dead and become recognized again out of
> the blue.  Of course, if this does happen, don't turn off your computer
> and do copy all your data somewhere else ASAP.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Ian

Thank you all for the kind replies and encouragement. I was pretty distraught
when I sent that message last night; I had been banging my head against this
for about 12 hours. So I left after I sent the email to the list, got out of
the house for the night, just got back now.

And would you believe it, sdd came home too. I checked in the BIOS and it did
see a 200GB drive in the slot (yesterday it didn't). I fired it up, and there
it was. dmesg doesn't have a thing to say about it, and I have no explanation
other than voodoo magick. Which I wholeheartedly accept.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go buy a backup drive.

-pete