To add to the list of tools Andy mentioned: ddrescue is similar to dd,
but is really great about not choking, even if your disk is in terrible
shape.  parted has its own rescue function that will try to find lost
partitions, without you needing to know exactly where they were.  And
check out TestDisk and PhotoRec - they are brilliant tools, and can come
through when all hope seems lost.

Of course, all of these tools can only help if the computer at least
recognizes that the drive is there, which is your problem.

Try entering your BIOS setup and see if the drive shows up there.  Also,
try getting your ear close to the drive when you power on the computer
and see if you can hear it spinning up.

Also, keep trying.  Try plugging it in again tomorrow. Try plugging it
in two weeks from now.  I can't give any rational explanation for why
this would help, but I've seen drives that everyone has given up on
inexplicably come back from the dead and become recognized again out of
the blue.  Of course, if this does happen, don't turn off your computer
and do copy all your data somewhere else ASAP.

Good luck!

Ian