Yes, all six drives in RAID10 will give the best performance.

Partitioning is dependant on many factors like your drive size, expected db
needs, OS you are using, swap, etc.

  _____

From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Chris Barber
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 11:00 AM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] OT - Hardware Advice

Nope, use all 6 disks in the RAID 1+0.  That way you get more throughput.  I
like things easy, so I would just create a root partition that eats up
almost all of the space, then a second small (2GB) swap area.  That way you
don't have to worry about running out of disk space if you make a particular
partition too small.

-Chris

Robert De Mars wrote:

Chris Barber writes:

I use RAID 1+0 for database servers.

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my post.  I like the RAID 1+0 idea.

I was originally planning on running the OS, and database separate from each

other.  How should I proceed with the install.

Would it be best to run the OS as RAID 1 (2 disks) as originally planned,
and run the database on RAID 1+0 (4 disks)?

Or, should I run the whole thing (OS & Database) on one huge RAID 1+0?

Thanks,

Robert De Mars
http://b-o-b.homelinux.com