On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Erik Anderson <erikerik at gmail.com> wrote:

>  At work, I was called upon to set up a linux VPS system for our
>  developers to use.  I ended up using UML (user mode linux) for the
>  virtualization. With UML, you're limited to only using linux guests
>  (as it requires a guest kernel patch), but that wasn't a problem in my
>  case.  Thus far, I've been *very* happy with both the performance and
>  stability of the UML system. I currently have eight guest instances
>  running, ranging from 512MB->2048MB RAM and from 10G->200G disk.  Each
>  of these servers has between 1 and 5 developers pounding on it at a
>  time, and I have yet to hear any complaints on performance.
>
>  The host OS is Gentoo, linux-2.6.20 (with the skas3 patch), running on
>  a Dell PowerEdge 2970 (Dual AMD Opteron 2212s, 8GB RAM).
>
>  At this point, I've just been using an ubuntu image for the guests,
>  with linux-2.6.23.14 guest kernels.

I should add - getting UML set up was pretty easy, but it's by no
means a point-and-click deal like VMWare and/or Virtualbox.  As long
as you're somewhat comfortable with the commandline and familiar with
linux networking, it should be no problem.  I gave Xen a try before
settling on UML, and found UML a lot more simple to get going.

-erik

--
Erik Anderson
http://andersonfam.org