On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:00 PM, David Alanis <canito at dalan.us> wrote:

>  Would anyone like to share their experience which of the three
>  applications (Virtualbox, xen, VMWare) renders the most options,
>  optimization, user friendlyness, and performance?

At work, I was called upon to set up a linux VPS system for our
developers to use.  I ended up using UML (user mode linux) for the
virtualization. With UML, you're limited to only using linux guests
(as it requires a guest kernel patch), but that wasn't a problem in my
case.  Thus far, I've been *very* happy with both the performance and
stability of the UML system. I currently have eight guest instances
running, ranging from 512MB->2048MB RAM and from 10G->200G disk.  Each
of these servers has between 1 and 5 developers pounding on it at a
time, and I have yet to hear any complaints on performance.

The host OS is Gentoo, linux-2.6.20 (with the skas3 patch), running on
a Dell PowerEdge 2970 (Dual AMD Opteron 2212s, 8GB RAM).

At this point, I've just been using an ubuntu image for the guests,
with linux-2.6.23.14 guest kernels.

-Erik