> In the previous message to the list, you noted
> that your resolution (as noted by xrandr) is 1280x1024.  Is
> this a simple matter of sending a resolution to the projector
> that it doesn't like?  Have you tried 1024x768?

I tried both 1024x768 and 800x600 but neither works. I get alternating color
and white vertical bars in the output. Sometimes it changes to blinking
colored rectangular areas.

Interestingly, I booted from a Backtrack 2 live CD and started X, and it
works no problem. I check the xorg.conf and it lists a HorizSync 31.5 - 150
and a VertRefresh 75 - 85. So, I then tried those values on Debian, but it
still doesn't work.

I also double-checked the projector model, and I had a typo. It's a Sony
VPL-PX41. The specs on it are:

Portable TFT Active Matrix LCD Projector
Resolution	Native: XGA (1024 x 768)
Compressed: UXGA (1600 x 1200)
Horizontal Scan Rate: 19 - 92 kHz
Vertical Scan Rate: 48 - 92 Hz

I also tried the Debian system with a Dell E173FPB LCD monitor with the same
results; works fine until X is started; works fine with Backtrack 2 CD.

... frustrating.