On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, David Alanis wrote:

> The tests were done on a Laptop - Fujitsu P1610 Intel 1.2GHz ULV Core
> Solo with 1GB RAM. Also, pointed out that it will vary depending on the
> OS and packages of course. You will have to buy the mag to read the
> complete article :)
>
> I have to get going here but the results are as follows:
>
> Grub to login
> 4200rpm: 50sec.
> SSD: 34sec.
>
> Login to Desktop
> 4200rpm: 59sec.
> SSD: 23sec.
>
> Untar Kernel 2.6.22
> 4200rpm: 66sec.
> SSD: 53sec.
>
> Suspend to Disk
> 4200rpm: 75sec.
> SSD: 50sec.
>
> Grub to Resume
> 4200rpm: 83sec.
> SSD: 38sec.

Thanks for sharing that, David.  That is interesting information.
Apparently, the 4200 RPM HDD took 50% or more time than the SSD on every
job but only 25% longer on "untar kernel," for some reason.

On NewEgg.com, most of the 64GB SSD drives are in the $700-$800 range, but
there's this one at $285:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208432

So what's wrong with that one?!  ;-)

Mike