Quoting Mike Miller <mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu>:

> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, David Alanis wrote:
>
>> This months Linux Journal has a good article on solid state drives and
>> they talk about their comparison against a 4200 RPM 1.8 drive.
>
> Are 4200 RPM 1.8" drives used in notebooks?
>
> So what did they find?  Was SSD faster than HDD?

The tests were done on a Laptop - Fujitsu P1610 Intel 1.2GHz ULV Core
Solo with 1GB RAM. Also, pointed out that it will vary depending on
the OS and packages of course. You will have to buy the mag to read
the complete article :)

I have to get going here but the results are as follows:

Grub to login
4200rpm: 50sec.
SSD: 34sec.

Login to Desktop