On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 04:53:34PM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, David Alanis wrote:
> > Grub to login
> > 4200rpm: 50sec.
> > SSD: 34sec.
> >
> > Login to Desktop
> > 4200rpm: 59sec.
> > SSD: 23sec.
> >
> > Untar Kernel 2.6.22
> > 4200rpm: 66sec.
> > SSD: 53sec.
> >
> > Suspend to Disk
> > 4200rpm: 75sec.
> > SSD: 50sec.
> >
> > Grub to Resume
> > 4200rpm: 83sec.
> > SSD: 38sec.
>

> Thanks for sharing that, David.  That is interesting information.
> Apparently, the 4200 RPM HDD took 50% or more time than the SSD on every
> job but only 25% longer on "untar kernel," for some reason.

Is the untarring a straight read of an uncompressed tarball or was the
test run on a compressed kernel?  I assume the latter (that seems to be
the norm), in which case the "untar kernel" test would have a
significantly higher proportion of CPU-dependent work than the other
tests, reducing the relative impact of data transfer speeds.

--
News aggregation meets world domination.  Can you see the fnews?
http://seethefnews.com/