I've decided to use part of my tax return to upgrade my ancient
desktop.  I started researching, but realized that I haven't been
paying attention to the hardware market for quite a while and I'm
lost.

My current machine;
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 930.242
cache size      : 256 KB
bogomips        : 1862.02

with 512M of RAM in two DIMMs of unknown type, and a 3dfx Voodoo video card

I also have a P4 machine with a bad MB, slot type unknown.

My plan is to buy a MB/CPU and a modern OpenGL compatible video card.
I'll reuse my current memory and HDs using the P4's case and PS.

I've got a budget of about $200.

The machine is a basic desktop, running KDE.  The processor-intensive
task that I do most often is video re-encoding and very basic video
editing.

I have a 19" CRT that I may decide to use, so a video card capable of
higher resolutions is desired.

Please point me in a direction.

Thanks
Mark