Brian Wall wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2008 8:32 PM, Jon Schewe <jpschewe at mtu.net
> <mailto:jpschewe at mtu.net>> wrote:
>
>     So on my Debian system I used "aptitude hold linux-image-2.6-686" to
>     keep my kernel from accidentally getting upgraded when I didn't
>     plan on
>     rebooting.  Now I want to upgrade it, but I still get the message that
>     the package is kept back, even after executing "aptitude unhold
>     linux-image-2.6-686".  Can anyone explain to me what I'm doing wrong?
>

> That should work.  When you execute the unhold, does it display that
> the package is no longer held?

Nope.
# aptitude unhold
  kernel-image-2.6-686 libmysqlclient15off linux-image-2.6-686 mysql-client
  mysql-client-5.0 mysql-common mysql-server mysql-server-5.0
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
# aptitude upgrade
  linux-image-2.6-686
  kernel-image-2.6-686 libmysqlclient15off mysql-client mysql-client-5.0
  mysql-common mysql-server mysql-server-5.0
7 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 25.4MB/34.5MB of archives. After unpacking 61.4kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]

> You can also try 'aptitude install linux-image-2.6-686', which will
> upgrade the kernel but retain the hold on the package.  Personally, I
> just don't install a moving target if I don't want my kernels upgraded
> automatically (such as a server).

The problem with not installing the updated kernels is that you are then
open for attack from crackers.

--
Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
If you see an attachment named signature.asc, this is my digital