I've given up on kvm switches (due to many of the same frustrations
you mentioned) and have moved exclusively to the server-embedded
remote management cards.  If that's an option for you, I'd highly
recommend it.  Not only does that give you the kvm functionality
you're looking for, but it also allow full "lights out" management
including the ability to power the server up/down if need be.  Many of
these cards will also send alert emails to you for hardware failures,
power outages, and the like.

-Erik