Have you rebooted since the installfest?

A couple things I've seen before:
	1) If you make changes to the kernel, or recompile it, there can be problems
with updates via packaging systems.
	2) If you wait too long to reboot after an upgrade, especially if there are
multiple kernel upgrades in the meantime, you can have kernel images that
don't boot.

As Eric suggested, booting with an older kernel is a good test.  Otherwise,
try a rescue disk and verify that you can access the files.  If the files
really aren't there, then you might need to check the SMART data for the
drive.

Jeremy