On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 10:12:01AM -0700, Fred H Olson wrote:
> I selected several older kernels and it does the same thing.
> It runs with an old Ubuntu 5.10 live cd but I have not figured out how to
> to find the harddrive - not sure if they are not there or I dont know
> how to find them...  How do I look?  I tried some mount commands and
> looked around /proc but could have done it wrong.

Fred,

Do a 'fdisk -l /dev/sda' or 'fdisk -l /dev/hda' - this should tell you
which way to fsck and mount it.  Then, run a fsck on the root
partition (use -f to force it to check) and after it completes
succesfully, try mounting it and check the contents /etc/fstab.

> Would it be worth getting a newer live cd?

Yes, try a newer Ubuntu live CD.  I'm not sure they have "Repair my
mess" button, but it should find and mount your partitions.

florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163