On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, Jeremy wrote:

> Have you rebooted since the installfest?
Oh yes, I turn my computer off most nights.

> A couple things I've seen before:
> 	1) If you make changes to the kernel, or recompile it, there can be problems
> with updates via packaging systems.
> 	2) If you wait too long to reboot after an upgrade, especially if there are
> multiple kernel upgrades in the meantime, you can have kernel images that
> don't boot.
>
> As Eric suggested, booting with an older kernel is a good test.  Otherwise,
> try a rescue disk and verify that you can access the files.  If the files
> really aren't there, then you might need to check the SMART data for the
> drive.

I tried several old kernels and they all fail the same way - see Fri 9/14
list message for messages displayed about errors mounting /root/dev ,
/sys and /proc.

Using the live cd's /proc/partitions I mounted the ones that I concluded
were / , /home and /boot successfully. I looked around and they look fine.
So the disk looks ok.

FRed

Communications for Justice -- Free, superior listserv's w/o ads:
http://justcomm.org      My Link Pg: http://fholson.cohousing.org
612-588-9532 (7am-10pm CST/CDT)   Email: fholson at cohousing.org