On Nov 7, 2007 5:38 PM, Chuck Cole <cncole at earthlink.net> wrote:
> UMN emphasis is a killer for outside interest and makes it a student group
> separate from "the community"... or has historically for the last 20-30
> years.

We're not a professional organization. We're a Linux Users Group. Big
difference, IMO.

> The bus line proximity isn't a big deal or just isn't useful for most folks
> "after graduation".

Big deal AND useful for any folks without a car, graduated or not. But
to this point, Snelling & Larpenteur is nearly as easy to get to from
either downtown as the U. Just takes longer on a bus.

> Corporate relevance can be very good.  That is not "bias", it's a real world
> emphasis.  Lack of it indicates a student emphasis.

Lack of it indicates independence.

> Few, if any, installfests have been done at UMN.  Again. this is a student
> emphasis and not clearly a community function or one emphasizing post
> graduation concerns and connections.

There have been, but it's been several years. The ones that were held
there when I was a Freshman were well run, well advertised around
campus, and well attended by students and community members both.

> As I said before, mid-week at UMN makes it both inaccessible and
> uninteresting for most past graduation.  My opinion, but also happens to be
> the practice of most of the 20 or so professional associations in town.

Midweek is tougher than weekends at the U, agreed.