> The U is simply not a desirable place to meet,

The university has many advantages.  It is centrally located, has excellent
mass transit, we have access to very nice lecture facilities, it is within
walking distance for a large quantity of students who probably don't have
cars, it has a plethora of restaurants and coffee shops nearby for
post-meetings, we have the internal sponsorship of computer science faculty,
which is a natural fit and may provide interesting lectures, demos, and the
ability to connect with students via mailing lists and other means.

Parking is not as convenient as less-central locations.   However, hosting the
meeting on one side of the cities or another will always leave someone
driving further than they want, or taking extra bus transfers.

Jeremy