The U is simply not a desirable place to meet, otherwise the
professional associations would consider meeting there, and haven't for
the last 20 years or so. I think they simply found fewer hassles and
grumblings from attendees to meet elsewhere.

My attendance certainly isn't necessary.  I'm just sharing an easy to
see preference that's not uncommon in town.  The U area is probably best
left for student activities.  Harumph  :-)

Chuck