Mike Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Jonathon Jongsma wrote:

>>> I just picked up a Latitude D820.. it ended up being $600 cheaper to buy
>>> it with Windows than without.
>> You're sure you were comparing exactly the same system?  Because I was
>> just shopping for a D820 about two days ago and they came out to exactly
>> the same price with and without windows.  The one big difference seemed
>> to be that not all of the same options were available depending on
>> whether you were looking at the with-windows or without-windows options
>> (for instance, without-windows seemed to offer me more choices of
>> processor speed on the higher end and less choice on the bottom end...
>> Don't ask me why...)
>

> Obviously, Dell and most other manufacturers have agreements with
> Microsoft.  Do Intel and Microsoft also come up with agreements?  It could
> work like this:  Microsoft can make their system run slower so that people
> are motivated to buy new hardware.  Microsoft doesn't have much
> competition, so they don't have a lot of motivation to optimize their code
> for speed.  Why wouldn't they help Intel to make a buck?

Microsoft's history was that it was hardware agnostic. They wanted you
to run Windows whether you were using Intel, MIPS or Alpha chips. I
can't see them intentionally favoring one CPU over another, especially
given how quickly CPUs have been changing. I certainly couldn't see
Intel getting tied up in that kind of arrangement.

> Related point:  Microsoft is a monopoly, or near monopoly.  When Vista
> comes out, what is its competition?  Well, it's mostly XP.  Wouldn't it be
> nice for Vista if XP wasn't so great?  Sure.  They knew this day would
> come when they made XP.  Maybe that explains why XP isn't so great.  Same
> for Vista and everything else produced by Microsoft.  When you have a
> monopoly, not only is there no incentive to produce a better product,
> there is a disincentive -- it is better to produce a bad product so that
> you can sell upgrades more readily.

There were a couple of times when they floated the idea of charging for
service packs - I think XP SP1 was one instance. That went nowhere.
They've suggested charging for security updates/software and again it
went nowhere. You also run the risk that new hardware is going to end up
running OS X or some variant of Unix.

I think what is going on is that MS is being buried under a pile of
crappy code, some for backward compatibility, some newly written. They
are so scared of having to compete without the inertia of legacy
applications that they're committed to a path that increases bloat,
complexity and bugs. They'll also sell out their users' security in an
instant if it benefits their business partners, but that's another story :-)

Compare that to Apple who routinely breaks compatibility in both
hardware and software, dump the 68K for PowerPC for Intel; dump Mac OS
for OS X. The technical press wailed about it being a fatal mistake
every time, but they came through fine and now they're running a
relatively clean OS on bleeding edge hardware. They also understand a
lot about how to manage those breaks without pissing everyone off.

MS is screwed. Mac and Linux will keep on chipping away at their OS
market share. As people move to more open document standards the
dominance of Office will start to erode as well. Just look at the Zune
and try not to laugh out loud ... an MP3 player that only a Soviet could
love :-)

--rick