On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Chad Walstrom wrote:

>> The reason is that Linux has been really taking over in computing and
>> everything is ready to compile and run under Linux.  Linux uses GNU
>> tools, which are much better than Solaris's tools.  Because of this, I
>> wouldn't bother with Solaris.
>
> "Better" is a very subjective opinion.  I like GNU tools.  I'm
> familiar with GNU tools.  I can hack on GNU tools and not worry about
> Copyright infringement.  Therefore, I think GNU tools are better.

That's not how it is with me.  I discovered that Solaris fmt was deleting
international characters like é, ü, etc., from my files, which I feel is
totally unacceptable.  GNU fmt didn't do that.  Both sed and awk under
Solaris failed to handle long lines, and sed would screw up without
returning an error -- this is a fairly famous bug in Solaris sed that you
might want to read about.  The GNU versions of both sed and awk (a.k.a.,
gawk) work great even with very long lines.

I also discovered that the Solaris version of sort was much slower than
the GNU version.  This happened because a friend believed that his
high-end PC running Linux would out-perform a Solaris box that cost 4
times as much money and he wanted to prove it.  Some of our colleagues
were saying that Solaris and SPARC would be faster when a job required a
lot of I/O.  So we decided to sort a file of several million lines to see
which mahcine was fastest.  The Linux machine was much faster.  Then I
realized that I could compile GNU sort under Solaris and see if that was
the cause of the difference.  It turned out that GNU sort was far faster
than Solaris sort.  I don't remember the numbers now but it was a
remarkable difference.

GNU tools have continued to improve and outdo the Solaris versions in many
ways.  It's not just what I know and like.  In fact, I probably still have
more experience in Solaris than in Linux.

Mike