On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Chad Walstrom wrote:

> So, I disagree that Linux is taking off JUST because of pre-compiled GNU
> tools.

Did someone say that it was?  It wasn't me.

> I believe Linux is taking off for a number of reasons:
>
>   * The Price is Right -- Can't beat free

Solaris is also free:

http://www2.sun.de/dc/forms/reg_us_2211_391.jsp

I just ordered one the other day.  They wrote back to tell me that it
should be arriving soon.

>   * Advanced packaging tools (Sun's is a bit behind the curve on this
>     one.)
>   * Public, central, network-accessible package archives (Sun's
>     aren't exactly public.)
>   * Convenient search tools for querying the plethora of packages

And also, there is a great mass of software all ready to run on Linux and
it is easy to compile it on Linux.  For me this is very important.

> No, I think one of the reasons Solaris isn't as popular amongst desktop
> consumers is because until recently, they didn't have an x86 product.

They had it back in the 90s for sure, but I don't think they were giving
it away until recently.

Mike