Now that I work over at Onvoy, I get plenty of exposure to Solaris.
In fact, at the U, I had to manage an aging E4500 running Solaris 2.6.
Recent experience with Solaris 10 on SPARC hardware has shown me that
it's not quite polished.  We continue to have race conditions with
sendmail on Solaris 10 while under botnet attack from Poland.  So much
so, that we have to remove the machine from our mail server lineup
between the hours of 00:00 and 03:30.  That does not give me much
confidence in Solaris 10, honestly.  Solaris 9 hums along happily
enough.

> The reason is that Linux has been really taking over in computing
> and everything is ready to compile and run under Linux.  Linux uses
> GNU tools, which are much better than Solaris's tools.  Because of
> this, I wouldn't bother with Solaris.

"Better" is a very subjective opinion.  I like GNU tools.  I'm
familiar with GNU tools.  I can hack on GNU tools and not worry about
Copyright infringement.  Therefore, I think GNU tools are better.
Feature-wise, GNU tools mature quickly.  However, GNU tools may not
target hardware-specific management and optimizations that you gain
with vendor tools.

One of the goals with GNU tools is to be cross-platform.  Solaris is
one of the most prominent platforms on which GNU tools run.  If you go
to http://www.sunfreeware.com, you will not many of the more popular
GPL'ed software available there.

So, I disagree that Linux is taking off JUST because of pre-compiled
GNU tools.  I believe Linux is taking off for a number of reasons:

   * The Price is Right -- Can't beat free
   * Advanced packaging tools (Sun's is a bit behind the curve on this
     one.)
   * Public, central, network-accessible package archives (Sun's
     aren't exactly public.)
   * Convenient search tools for querying the plethora of packages

The more I support Solaris, the less I dislike it.  The company seems
to take a very Debian-like approach when providing patches for
installed, stable software rather than forcing newer versions of the
software to be installed.  They could use some help in determining
exactly when reboots are necessary, for example. (i.e. Their
installation/patching scripts could be a bit more intelligent.)

No, I think one of the reasons Solaris isn't as popular amongst
desktop consumers is because until recently, they didn't have an x86
product.  Even so, they're likely to get more Solaris admins than
general consumers.  They weren't (aren't) popular amongst smaller
businesses or smaller-budget groups because the hardware was (is)
quite expensive to run.  Their support of x86 platform and release of
OpenSolaris might change some of that.

I think it's too hard to predict, really.  Linux has a lot of
momentum, and companies like Solaris are finally starting to react
appropriately.  We shall see...

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/