On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Chad Walstrom wrote:

> Randy Clarksean <rclark at lakesplus.com>  wrote:
>
>> Anyone out there running Solaris 10 on PC type hardware?  Like an x86
>> type system?  Good? Bad? Indifferent?  Thoughts or suggestions welcome.
>
> My co-worker, a rabid Solaris fan, runs Solaris 10 on his workstation.
> I'm rather indifferent. ;-)

I'm not using it on PC.  I have been running it on a SPARC machine for
more than a decade and I also am using Linux on a number of different
systems.  Solaris is a very solid OS -- I have not rebooted my Solaris 8
machine in 5 years except when there was a power failure.  Still, I don't
like Solaris very much.  The reason is that Linux has been really taking
over in computing and everything is ready to compile and run under Linux.
Linux uses GNU tools, which are much better than Solaris's tools.
Because of this, I wouldn't bother with Solaris.  The only reason I still
use it at all is because I have the machine running, doing web, email,
etc., and it's a pain to move everything to a different machine.
Meanwhile, I do all my number crunching work and most other unixy stuff on
Linux boxes.

On the other hand, if you just want to study Solaris and learn about it,
maybe for professional reasons, why not?  It's very widely used.

Mike