i havn't tried mysql 5.x but with 4.x a master/slave replica should work
just fine - as long as you have bin-logging turned on.  when the master
can't see the slave, it just logs locally, then when it can see the
slave, it dumps all the changes to it.  it seems to work fine for me.

i would also suggest using OPENVPN for the SSL VPN between sites, i used
this in a similar situation and it was an extremely stable solution and
could easily handle the 45mb DS3 we were trying to push to the main site
- - just make sure you change the config from UDP to TCP for the SSL
tunnel protocol - that worked a bit better for us.