On 4/22/07, Jon Schewe <jpschewe at mtu.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-04-22 at 13:09 -0500, Rob Terhaar wrote:
> > On 4/22/07, Jon Schewe <jpschewe at mtu.net> wrote:
> > > I'm hoping someone on the list has some experience with this or knows
> > > where to look.
> > >
> > > I've got a tape recording where a tape player was used that clicks bad.
> > > So the recording I want appears to be on the tape very quietly, however
> > > the clicking is so loud because the internal mic on the recorder was
> > > used.  Does anyone have a good idea on how to remove these clicks?
> > >
> > > An example of the recording can be found at
> > > http://mtu.net/~jpschewe/remove_clicks.flac
> > >
> > > Any help would be appreciated.  The recording is of a memorial service
> > > and I have someone that was unable to be there that I'd really like to
> > > get a copy to.  Thanks.
> > >

> > I can think of two ways to do this:
> >
> > method one: the cheap/free way (that might not work so well..)
> > get a copy of audacity, isolate a block of the noise that you wish to
> > eliminate. copy it onto a different track, and repeate the noise
> > sample though out the entire recording. invert the noise sample track.
> > line up the noise sample track so that the clicks are synchronized
> > across the two tracks. this might or might not result with a sort of
> > psuedo "active" noise cancelation of the clicks.
> >

> What's a good way to repeat the section throughout the track?  It is
> happening at regular intervals, so that should make it easier.

bit difficult to explain via text, but you can copy/paste a section
repeatedly as a 2nd track in audacity-

if the click is happening at a regular interval, grab a complete
single interval (with no vocals) and use the 'duplicate' feature. this
should dump one cycle off to another track. if you then copy/paste
this cycle, it should (hopefully) get close to lining up with each
consecutive click in the main track. then comes the inversion of your
noise track. like i said previously, there's a great chance that this
may not work! :)