On 4/5/07, Josh Trutwin <josh at trutwins.homeip.net> wrote:
> console, reconfigure xorg (new video card) and go.  Has anyone done
> something like this and lived to tell about it?  One problem I
> could see is making sure to use the same IDE channel so the drives
> don't get different names.  Any other snags Ishould be aware of?

I've done thi s a few times and as long as the hardware is well
supported there seem to be very few problems.

The one problem I've run into several times is that the system won't
boot because the hard drive controller is different and the initrd
image cannot mount the root/boot partition. In this situation you need
to boot to a live cd and mount the old system so you can rebuild the
initrd image with the proper module.

Hopefully, after you get the kernel loaded and the root partition is
mounted, the hardware detection in kubuntu should take care of the
rest as long as the hardware is pretty standard. I've only done this
with Redhat/Fedora/CentOS systems and Kudzu is very good at detecting
and configuring hardware. Not sure how well (edu|ku|xu|u)buntu will
handle this.