I built my parents a generic kubuntu distribution about 6 months
ago using scrapped hardware I found.  Now that decision has come to
bite me in the rear and they are having some odd problem that I
can't diagnose nor do I have the time to tinker endlessly with it.
I think it's memory related based on some log messages but memtest86
 ran overnight with no errors. So, I'm getting a nice shiny (but
basic) new system from General Nanosystems and I'm hoping that I can
basically swap in the existing system's hard drive, boot into
console, reconfigure xorg (new video card) and go.  Has anyone done
something like this and lived to tell about it?  One problem I
could see is making sure to use the same IDE channel so the drives
don't get different names.  Any other snags Ishould be aware of?

Thanks!

Josh