John Meier writes:

> As I'd like to be able to switch to any OS depending on client, I am
> leaning toward a Mac book pro - 17 inch (and will probably get the max
> amount of memory right off the bat).  I would use bootcamp or
> Parallels Desktop for Mac for OS selection - Parallels Desktop really
> caught my eye....

Go for it,

> Now the pricing on these Mac books really is holding me back - I can
> swing the price now but on the flip side, I can get a PC laptop and a
> couple of years later get another all  for less than the 1 Mac -
> sigh...

comparing a MacBook Pro with a Dell Inspiron is not a valid comparison, a
Dell Latitude D820(because it has a 15" screen) with a Core2 Duo(2.16 GHz),
1GB RAM, 120GB HDD, XP Pro SP2(or Vista) DVD writer and so forth comes to
about $2k, which is the same for a MBP.

So, when comparing laptops it is best to compare similar offerings.

> Wondering if anyone else uses a Mac for businessy type stuff and what
> they like and don't like.

I use it for businessy stuff, at first i had it partitioned 3 ways intending
to install Linux and Windows XP on it. Over time i gave up on installing
windows, i really have no need to and if i ever do then there is always
parallels or VNC.

And i gave up on installing Linux on it as well, between iterm and
darwin-ports there really is no need for it. If i ever need to run a
Linux application there is always X forwarding.

What i dont like though is that sometimes, just sometimes it does not wake
up from sleep properly, i can see the mouse curser but the screen remains
dim. I've found that closing the lid, waiting a couple of seconds and
openings it again fixes it but it is still annoying. In my research and
experimentation i've found that it is related to the encrypted home
directories and the requirement to enter a password when waking up.