I'm studying LPI not for certification but to have a full rounded
knowledge of GNU/Linux.  I have the Nutshell book too, it's a bit old.
I'm using it as a core and getting other books on the various subjects
it covers.  There is a book by Sybex that is LPI approved and much newer
than the Nutshell book.  I also have it, not reading it till I decide to
take the test.

Boy Scouts earn badges, but if you want to climb those ranks, earn those
badges.  Probably look better to have multiple certs.  If you pass one,
the other should be easy.