On Friday 03 November 2006 11:25 am, Chad Walstrom wrote:
<snipped some text>
> In any case, it would be interesting to hear from a Zope fanboy/girl
> to see what their community thinks of the product.

I will do my best. ;-)

I don't claim to speak for anyone but myself. I will relate my experience and
my opinions about Zope, Plone and Python. Not necessarily in that order. If
you don't really care about any of this don't read any further.

1. To the question about Python - yes its still out there and still going
strong. I find it turning up in a lot of places where I don't expect it. If
you want a good exploration of why python is worth the effort go to
http://mindview.net/FAQ/FAQ-012 follow the link on the page and download
Bruce Eckel's presentation "Why I Love Python".

2. Zope - Yes it has a steep learning curve. I have often described it as a
giant set of steps. Once you get a certain amount under your belt you can do
really cool things quickly. You eventually hit the next wall and need to
scale that. Fortunately each step is shorter than the last.

I can't speak to Zope 3. I haven't had the time to dig into it. Most of the
Zope stuff I do right now is Plone related and that has me firmly in the
Zope2 world. But I've been using it for 6+ years at this point and I'm
comfortable there.

3. Plone - Keeps moving forward. They are "backporting" some of the cooler
things from Zope3 into Plone with each successive release to make the
conversion to Zope3 with Plone 3 or 3.5 (not sure when they plan to switch
over) easier. That said Plone 2.5 employs the Pluggable Authentication
Services (PAS) by default which should make integration with other security
environments better. Just last week I helped somebody setup a Zope 2.9/Plone
2.5 site with cache-fu using Squid for improved performance. This took very
little effort to get going. The recent Plone conference was hosted by a
non-profit group which has help raise the profile of Plone in that market.
This generated some healthy discussion on the TechSoup site that provides
technology help for non-profits.

Plone development is going ahead full steam. Zope development continues as
more and more of the techniques of Zope3 are made available to Zope2 via the
Five product. As far as I can tell most of this stuff deals with lower level
functions that take advantage of advances in Python itself.

FWIW in the past 6 months I have been contacted by several people about Plone
sites they have setup or are considering and requesting assistance or
information about how to do what they want to do. This includes small
businesses, large businesses and individuals. And far from being a detriment
to Plone I think Zope is an asset. When I was teaching Zope and Plone to
would be web developers I used to describe it as a "layered" model. Each
layer (Python, Zope, CMF, Plone) provided pieces that made getting a website
running easier. Each layer also required you to buy in to how it did things
to get the benefits of those functions. This makes creating sites in this
environment very simple once you know how it all works together. I've seen
several articles, particularly "At the Forge" columns in Linux Journal that
express the sentiments of many of the comments here. Basically that this or
that tool on Zope is a really good choice for doing whatever task is being
discussed. But you have to deal with Zope. In some cases Lerner even suggests
that a certain Zope solution better than the alternatives, but you need to
"get" Zope and that can be a problem for people. There have been several
comparisons of FOSS Content Managers. In most reviews Plone rates highly but
Zope and the learning curve are brought up as potential stumbling blocks. In
most cases lately these articles suggest Drupal. Basically when I read
articles like that I realize that I don't need another framework or app
server I'm already using one that does what I need, and does it well.

But then again I am, to use Chewie's words, a Zope Fanboy. ;-)

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com
http://www.jacku.com