"John J. Trammell" <trammell+tclug at el-swifto.com>  wrote:
> My only experience with Zope was pretty bad.  Is it just me, or have
> people pretty much given up on Python?

I think it's just you.  There is a shift in how web applications are
being done.  Rather than having monolithic libraries and application
server structures, more flexible frameworks have come to the
forefront.  This could have been prompted by Ruby on Rails, but I
believe that Python development had been heading in that direction
anyway, long before Rails showed up.

PEP 333, the Python Web Server Gateway Interface v1.0, defines a
method for loosely coupled python components to build web
applications.  Python Paste, a project by Ian Bicking, sets up a loose
implementation of WSGI, and is used in a number of framework projects
in the Python world.  I believe Zope developers are incorporating WSGI
into their infrastructure to reuse applications and components from
other projects.

All in all, the Python web-development world is moving ahead at a
pretty fast pace.  I do not comment on Zope, only because I don't
really follow their project closely.

I can assure you, however, that Python is far from being abandoned.  I
use it in preference to Perl for all my little applications, and even
daily scripting.  I haven't really tried Ruby, mainly because I get
what I need from Python.  I have never been a fanboy of Perl, but it
is just as effective as either Python or Ruby.  When all is said and
done, these three are far more useful than Java ever was.

In any case, it would be interesting to hear from a Zope fanboy/girl
to see what their community thinks of the product.
--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/