On 11/3/06, John J. Trammell <trammell+tclug at el-swifto.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 09:44:01AM -0600, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> > Josh Trutwin <josh at trutwins.homeip.net>  wrote:
> > > The only problem with plone is you first need Zope, which I've found
> > > to be one of the biggest headaches and has one of the steepest
> > > learning curves amoung the web software I've installed.
> >
> > This may have been true with Zope 2, but is the same true for Zope 3?
> > I have no experience with the latter, so I cannot comment.  Anyone?
>
> My only experience with Zope was pretty bad.  Is it just me, or have
> people pretty much given up on Python?

This is getting off topic, but I'm interested now and I'll bite.

I'm curious what made your experience bad? Also, what makes you think
people have given up on Python?

I'm not attacking you, but I do love Python and I can't personally see
why it's not more widely used. So I am very interested to learn what
criticisms people have of it. Or is it just one of those "religious"
preferences like emacs and vim?

It seems like big (as in size or popularity) projects such as Xen,
Twisted, yum, Kickstart, and several other projects that need good
glue code are all using Python.

I also have no problems with Perl, PHP, or whatever but when I want to
get something done I choose Python.

Cheers,
Eric