https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperReleaseNotes/UbiquityKnownIssues

They don't mention the problems you found, but they do mention this:

Crash if system partitions are not reformatted: [WWW] #47046

If you use manual partitioning and do not check the "Reformat?" box for
filesystems you mount on /, /boot, /usr, /var, or subdirectories of those,
then the installer may crash while copying files to the target system. The
workaround is to make sure to reformat these filesystems (note that /home,
/media/*, and so on do not need to be formatted). If you are upgrading an
existing installation and want to save existing data, then you should
follow the instructions in DapperUpgrades rather than using the Desktop
CD's installer.

Yes -- that did happen to me.  I will try again with the boxes checked to
see if that works.

Mike